The issue with most recipes for pork chili is that you either wished you had cooked beef chili, or you go running for the tortillas to turn the shreds of pork into chili verde burritos. This recipe stands on its own as a delicious alternative to beef. The secret is the use of boneless Country Style Ribs. Country-style ribs are more like pork chops, more meaty and less fatty than real ribs. When sliced into half inch cubes and cooked low and slow, you end up with a chunky, meaty, chili that might just win you some praise at home.
If you can’t decide between and red or white wine, just go for the Chabernet. Actually, beer will wash this dish down just fine.
Best Pork Chili Recipe
- Yield: With rice, dinner for 8 (08 Servings)
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 3 hrs 0 min
- Ready In: 3 hrs 30 mins
Cubed pork with chili spices and beans.
- 2 Pounds Country Style Pork Ribs 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 Tablespoons Chili Powder save some for the end
- 2 Tablespoons Cumin Powder save some for the end
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano crushed
- 1 Whole Yellow Onion Chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 6 Ounces Beer Your favorite beer
- 1 Can Chicken Stock 14.5 ounces
- 1 Can Green Chilis Fire roasted 7 oz. diced
- 1 Large Can Tomato Puree 1 lb. 12 oz. or chopped tomatoes
- 2 Cans Red Kidney Beans 15.25 oz. rinsed
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt adjust to your taste
- 1 Cup Jack Cheese Shredded
- 1 Cup Sour cream
- 1 Bunch Cilantro Chopped
- 2 Cups Steamed rice
- Cut 2 pounds of Country Style Pork Ribs into 1/2″ cubes. Trim the fat into larger pieces for easy removal after rendering.
- Place the fat trimmings into a cast-iron dutch oven and render enough fat to brown the pork. Add the cubed pork to the fat and cook on medium heat. The meat will release a lot of liquid which must boil off before browning can begin. Keep cooking pork until browned and bits of golden brown cling to pot; When browned, remove the pieces of fat.
- Add one large onion chopped and 4 large garlic cloves minced. 3 tbs chili powder and 1 tbs cumin added to onion/meat mixture while browning. Add 1 tbs oregano. 1 tsp black pepper and ½ tsp red pepper flakes. After spices have cooked enough to be toasted, add ½ bottle of your favorite beer like Negra Modelo. As consolation for cooking with your favorite beer, go ahead and drink the remaining half.
- Add 1 small can green chili’s (7 oz fire roasted), 1 large can tomato puree (1 lb 12 oz), 2 cans kidney beans 15.25 oz , 1 can 14.5 oz chicken stock When the mixture comes to a boil add chopped cilantro and adding salt to taste. Let cook for 2 to 3 hours on lowest flame with the lid closed.
- Adjust flavors by adding 1tbs cumin and 1tbs chili powder, salt, red pepper and black pepper to taste.
- Serve over steamed rice with a topping of melted cheese, a dollop of sour cream, then garnish with chopped cilantro.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress